Happy Holidays everyone from Red Canyon Physical Therapy in Frederick, Maryland, and now our newest location in Hagerstown, Maryland. As we approach this holiday season and you’re trying to figure out what to get some of your friends and family members, Red Canyon has some great gift ideas we want to share with you. The best news is they are fairly inexpensive. Check these great items out:
1. Portable TENS unit. Officially called “transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation,” these handy little units produce gentle electrical currents that massage muscles and nerves via electrode pads placed on the skin. When coupled with an ice pack or heating pad you have the ultimate in drug-free pain relief! Just apply to painful areas for 10-20 minutes at a time, as often as you like.
2. Jump rope. Jump ropes are cheap, portable, and perfect for on-the-go, do-anywhere cardio.
3. Kitchen timer. They’re an essential physical therapy accessory. At Red Canyon Physical Therapy we typically use them to time exercises and stretches. They can also be used as an activity reminder set for one hour intervals to remind you to get up from your desk or couch and move around. Doing this can help prevent back pain, blood clots, and improve posture.
4. Sunscreen. Yes, it’s winter, but let’s not forget that skin cancer is on the rise and we want you to be safe. Wear sunscreen with SPF 15 or greater. Every Single Day!
5. A weekly activity date. It’s one of the most common pieces of advice for those trying to begin or maintain a consistent exercise program – get a workout buddy. But don’t let words like “exercise” or “workout” intimidate you. The idea of a weekly activity date is just to set a regular time where you and your loved one do something active that you enjoy. It can be dancing, cycling, walking – anything you find fun that gets you moving. You can even give them a calendar with your weekly activity dates already marked inside.
Enjoy a safe and happy holiday season with your friends and family! Stay healthy and come see us at Red Canyon Physical Therapy in Frederick and Hagerstown, Maryland!